The InfoSec Institute Data Recovery course provides an in-depth and hands-on exposure to the most hands on and highly technical logical and physical data recovery course available anywhere. You will learn the fundamentals of hardware data recovery which will enable you to properly diagnose dead drives and bring them back to life. You will also learn logical recovery for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, RAID arrays, Exchange server and even solid state flash NAND drives!
The Data Recovery course exposes you to a professional data recovery lab environment, which includes:
- A Class 100 Clean Room Environment (maintains less than one hundred particles larger than 0.5 microns in each cubic foot of air space)
- A SMD Rework station for diagnosis and removal of SMD components on Hard Disk Drives and Solid State Drives
- Platter and head exchanging station with head combs for single and multi-platter swaps
- Data recovery tools including write blockers, micro-tweezers dental picks, anti-static gloves and finger cots, and much more.
- Data Recovery Workstation with associated drive connectors and BIOS bypass tools.
It is imperative to learn how to perform physical data recovery in a Class 100 clean room training environment, like is provided by InfoSec Institute for students. Even the smallest piece of dust that falls on an exposed drive platter can damage it irreparably, making data unrecoverable.
InfoSec Institute provides a professional data recovery lab experience for students. You will learn how to diagnose faulty PCBs and how to swap them with working PCBs. You will also learn critical Surface Mounted Device (SMD) rework skills using a heat gun. This includes identifying donor ROM SMDs and using rework flux to replace non-functional ROM chips.
Learning how to exchange drive platters and heads is a critical skill that requires expert instruction. The proper method for head and platter swapping is detailed thoroughly in the Data Recovery course. We also cover voice coil diagnosis and repair. You will learn the secrets of Firmware and Service Area (SA) repair for many different types of drives, including Western Digital, Maxtor, IBM and Seagate hard drives.
InfoSec Institute teaches you how to perform intermediate to advanced level logical recoveries. We make an assumption that you can already perform basic beginner-level logical recoveries of drives and jump right in to intermediate concepts. You will learn how to determine the secrets of RAID recovery, including RAID 5 recovery when one or more disks have been damaged. We cover the data recovery fundamentals of the NTFS, FAT32, and EXT file systems using a hex editor and other automated tools.
This class does not rely on you purchasing an expensive tool (such as the PC-3000) to perform data recovery.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of the nature of this data recovery course, you MUST wear anti-static and particulate matter minimizing clothing at ALL times during lab exercises. Students that do not conform to these requirements will NOT be admitted to the lab. Contact us for details. Required Prerequisites:
- Firm understanding of the Windows operating system
- Firm understanding of computer hardware
- Attendees can be anyone involved in the recovery of information assets: information security officers and managers, network administrators, Windows administrators, etc.